CekMoNSter's Reviews > Paths of Glory

Paths of Glory by Jeffrey Archer

Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: motivation, english
Read from December 30, 2011 to January 01, 2012

So this is my first Jeffrey Archer`s book..It was said somewhere on the cover that he was one of the best writer, and I couldn`t agree more..

This is an inspirational story about George Mallory, an English climber who attempt to climb the Mt. EVerest on 1920-s, long before Sir Edmund Hillary succeed in doing so in 1954. His last attempt on 1924 however caused his life, with his climbing partner, Irvine. No one really knows if he succeed or not to reach the peak, until 1999 later, they found his frozen body, with no camera.Irvine was still never found.

Aside from his journey to reach the God`s Door, I was actually enjoying more on the man`s passion and love toward his wife. I think it was sweet of him, how he was always be reminded with his wife, and how his wife full-heartedly support her husband, even when she knew that the journey will hurt both them emotionally. The best couple ever!

About the end for this, I actually believed this man to be the first to conquered the Everest.Maybe the way the author depicted Mallory to be a man with such bravery and honour that it actually convinced me that he did, and deserved to be the first. And if there was actually proves found later, then history will rewrite itself..

About the whole writing for this, some might argue that it was a bit flat, or other nonsense that I`m not bothered to write here, but I personally appreciate the tone for this one. It was written to be slightly objective for me when the author can use more exaggerative tones and dwell more on emotions. But that I think was acceptable because we`re dealing with characters whom were real, and probably not really know well off. Another is because, somehow I think it kinda fit the whole place and setting, England during 1920s which I believed to be quite dull..(i`m kidding)..

Love this book, its witty-counter-attack dialogues and the spirit of never to give up that was shown..

A good read! Nuff said~

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paths of Glory.

12/30/2011 page 247