Ashley's Reviews > Hand Me Down

Hand Me Down by Melanie Thorne

Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, young-adult, personal-library
Read from February 02 to 05, 2012

Melanie Thorne's Hand Me Down is a difficult story to read, but it's worth it. Elizabeth, the protagonist, is a teenager, but is forced to act more responsibly than even her parents. Her mother has married a convicted criminal and her father is an alcoholic. As she moves from home to home she's forced to come to terms with her family and create a life for herself.

It's a truly heartbreaking story. At times I was unsure if I would be able to finish it, partly because of the subject matter and partly because at points in the middle it seemed to drag along a bit in a spiral of unrelenting sadness. The book could have been a little shorter, but it didn't hurt it that much. Overall it was engaging.

I found Elizabeth to be engaging, although some of the other characters seemed a little one dimensional. Not all of the other characters, but many of them seemed like stereotypes of bad parents or guardians. Elizabeth's strength made her seem far older than her stated age, but I don't see that as a problem necessarily. This character had faced a lot of adversity and took on the parenting role of her younger siblings at a very young age.

Hand Me Down deals with difficult topics and is a worthwhile read.

I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hand Me Down.