tif's Reviews > Blood Red Road

Feb 23, 2012

bookshelves: own
Recommended to tif by: 7hir7een
Read from January 10 to 17, 2012

Before you go to pick up this book, be advised that it is not written in a traditional manner. It is very much written like someone who is illiterate might speak. There are no quotation marks, so dialogue can be very hard to follow.
Saba’s beloved twin brother is taken away by mysterious men right before her eyes, and she sets out to get him back through many twists and turns. Saba was a very realistic heroine to me, because she was flawed. She had issues with her sister and she knew it, and over the course of the book we saw her work to fix them. She was also incredibly stubborn, being attracted to Jack but so devoted to rescuing Lugh that she wouldn’t allow herself time for him.
That being said, I found the heartstone idea to be very interesting, but the application of it fell short. It just seemed a little thinly-constructed that the very first time she sees Jack that the heartstone would get so hot. She doesn’t even know the first thing about him, (besides his name, and that he’s kind of arrogant) how could he already be her heart’s desire?
Blood Red Road was a fantastic start to a series, though it has set the bar very high I hope that future books in the series can measure up to the standard set by the first book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Red Road.