Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

4.5 stars. We have another winner!

By the halfway point I was giddy with all of the gamer fan trivia. How flipping crazy is this that ONE scene had references to D&D, MMO's, and the 80's game Joust? It's as if the heavens opened and decided to rain awesomeness.

We won't even go into all of the classic t.v. sitcoms, cartoons, movies, and technology which have been mentioned. Star Wars, Thundercats, War Games, and Atari, indeed. NERDGASM!

This book is a must read for fans of the 70's and 80's, as well as anyone who has ever played a console game, RPG, MUD, MMO, etc. How could anyone not love being immersed in the subculture of today's technology buffs?

The near-future involves a world where we as a people become far too immersed in a false reality - a virtual reality. Do I see this potentially happening in our future? I hate to admit this, but I'm a little afraid. Anyone who's habitually spent too much time on the internet or locked away inside of a game could probably relate to disengaging for a period from the real world. I'm even guilty of this, to an extent. I am an ex-gamer, after all. To actually see such a future played out in the pages of a book is quite scary. I hope we never get to the point where society as a whole forgets to go outside and see the sunshine. I'll be crossing my fingers and hoping on this one.

All potential doom and gloom aside, this book was entertaining! Who didn't dream of treasure hunts and winning prizes as a child? The trip was one I wished I could have gone on from within the safety of my own home (without being chased by an evil corporation, of course!). I can't say that I was able to solve any riddles myself, nor am I nearly schooled enough in 80's trivia to have been able to accomplish 1/10 of the things Wade did, but it was fun to accompany him on his journey.

If you aren't a gamer, 80's buff, or sci-fi nerd, this book might take a few chapters to warm up to. I'd say give it until at least chapter 5. It really does start to take off into a wonderful adventure, once you start to see the contest unfold and other players step in.
41 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

Quotes Stacia (the 2010 club) Liked

Ernest Cline
“People who live in glass houses should shut the fuck up.”
Ernest Cline, Ready Player One

Faith McKay I just got this, I'm looking forward to reading it soon, sounds wonderfully strange.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I am a former MMO girl, so the prologue got me excited! I hope to read more tonight.

message 3: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Your update makes me want to read this!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I think the first few chapters were a little overdone and tedious, but once I hit about chapter 4/5, I was having a lot of fun. It's been a fun little adventure book.

midnightfaerie I'm also a gamer, but mostly eurogames and ameritrash, not so much of the video kind. Great review, I loved this book as well. Did you try to find the puzzle in the book to win the Dolorian? (sp?) I tried, but didn't have enough time. Looking forward to this movie, Cline is supposed to be writing the screenplay for it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I didn't but only because my mind is not the greatest at solving puzzles. I'm also looking forward to the movie. It's always nice when the author writes or co-writes the screenplay because it makes me less nervous that too much will be changed from the book.

Roxx I feel the exact same way about this book! I cannot wait until it is a movie.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I hope it really comes to life. It will be interesting to see the virtual world.

Roxx Exactly! And with CGI getting better every year, it will be a wonder.

midnightfaerie I hear Cline's the one writing the screen play. Should be interesting!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I love when the author has a hand in writing in the movie. It gives me hope that the movie won't stray too far from the book.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Oh, I like blasts from the past. With the kids I see it in Yo Gabba Gabba and reruns of Freaks & Geeks. he he

Stacia (the 2010 club) Freaks & Geeks was a great show! Yo Gabba Gabba kind of scares me a little. I was actually glad when my little one decided he wanted to move on to Disney shows.