Thomas Edgar's Reviews > Heat Wave

M 50x66
Dec 30, 2011

liked it
Read in December, 2011

For disclosure sake; I am a fan of the Castle television series. Heat Wave is written as if the author is the main character of the show and even has an acknowledgement section from Richard Castle to fictional characters in the show. This is one of the reasons I read Heat Wave. The book is quite successful in mimicking the show and is also one of the biggest failings of the book which I will go into later.

Heat Wave is a cop who-dun-it. The story centers around the murder of a failing real estate agent. It also includes an all too common list of suspect; Russian criminal, wife, accountant, etc. The story follows the protagonist, Nikki Heat, which is the lead homicide detective. Jameson Rook is a journalist that is following Heat for research for a story and is also the comedic relief and love interest of the story. To fill out the cast are two other homicide detectives, Raley and Ochoa which are often annoyingly referred to collectively as Roach, work with Heat. The plot follows the four as they investigate the murder and uncover evidence and why the murder occurred.

While the book to recreate the same feel as the show it doesn't recreate the magic. One of the main reasons the television show works is because of Nathan Fillion who plays the main character Castle. Fillion brings charisma and likability to the character that is not recreated in the book. Also, the tense and complex relationship between Castle and Beckette is instead shallow and weak between Rook and Heat. The plot and supporting characters are generic and easy to figure out. The book is essentially a plot for one of the shows but in a full length novel. This makes it feel drawn out and slow. I excepted a plot that was more involved and grand than a simple monster of the week. This book is well written but is a mediocre mystery and brings nothing new and exciting to the genre. My love for the show may be swaying an extra star for my rating. Take it or leave it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heat Wave.