Naoms's Reviews > Darkness Devours

Darkness Devours by Keri Arthur

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-urban-fantasy, read-in-2012, nook, angels-demons
Read from July 15 to 21, 2012

This series is quickly losing it's appeal. Not much happens to push the overall plot of the series. I'm not sure if it's because Keri Arthur is contracted for a bunch of books and wants it to fit or whatever, but I don't think we learned much about the keys or who killed Risa's mother. Even the romance of the series hasn't gained much ground, even though they took the next step. The first book was all set up and these last two were both filler books.

In Darkness Devours, Risa once again finds herself ensnared by the Vampire Council. In order to prove her worth, and to stop them from killing her, Risa must hunt a creature that has been consuming Vampires. On top of that, Risa is still searching for the infamous Nadler, who is still on his killing spree.

In this book we learn more about Azriel, but it's nothing important. It's like wow, he's had sex, now I know more about his character. I remember being a bit annoyed by the nonstop mention of sex in the Riley Jensen series but in this series, I hate it. All Risa thinks about is sex. Her life could be in danger and she thinks about being horny or she thinks about the fact that she's not horny. It's like my god woman, you're mother has been ripped apart, you are being haunted by the adehe and half the vampire council wants to kill you and all you can think about is sex. Even her ex,who betrayed her and who wrote nasty things about her mother can turn her on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not uptight, I don't think that it's wrong for a young single woman to enjoy herself, but there has to be a time and place for everything.

Add to that her obsession with trusting Lucien. It is SO obvious that he cannot be trusted. To the point where I can no longer take Risa seriously, because I think that she is an idiot. I'm not sure what Lucien's game is, but even if he's not evil, she should still get rid of him. There is a scene where he all but rapes her, so that he can read her mind. Apparently he can only read her mind during sex, don't even get me started on that ridiculous plot point, put in only to give Arthur more chances to write sex scenes. In my opinion, Risa doesn't keep Lucien around for any other reason than to be her sexual partner and it's annoying that she would endanger herself, her mission and her friends just to get laid.

spoiler below.

Than there is what happens with Azriel in this book. I waited so long for the hook up, but I can't see what the point was of it. Nothing changed,like at all. This book seems pretty useless. We got 1 maybe 2 new nuggets of information and that is all.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Devours.

07/15/2012 "I'm annoyed with this book. Risa's obsession with Lucian is becoming a bit much. He is such an asshole. Also, her obsession with her libido is sooo annoying to me."

Ruvinika lol..I was wondering the same..xD