Brittany's Reviews > Boy Toy

Dec 29, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: ya
Read in December, 2011

I've never read a sexual abuse novel filled with so many self-absorbed assholes. It rubbed me the wrong way to see the side characters criticize Josh for his feelings and his inability to move on. Telling someone to simply "get over" it doesn't help them...get over it. It's not as if abuse victims don't want to move on. Many just don't know how to. Nobody ever tried to understand where Josh was coming from and I didn't like that. At times, this book made me feel like Josh was the criminal instead of the victim. I didn't feel like he had much emotional support from his friends or his family during his healing process.

Overall, I think the author could have dealt with Josh's intimacy issues with a little more care and compassion (and subtly). To say the resolution to Josh's story was realistic, would be a laugh. If anything, it was idealistic. The author barely scratched the surface exploring the after effects of sexual abuse and because of that I can't rate this book any more than two stars. Boy Toy was a compelling book, but it would be a stretch to say it was a deep one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Toy.