Kim's Reviews > Hallowed

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: good-books-break-the-rules, made-me-sad

Well, looking at the ratings alone, it seems that a lot, and i mean a HELL LOT, of people sure like books with loads of tragedy squished in between its pages.
This book touches a lot on the theme of growing up, handling responsibilities, a tiresome struggle between normal life and the cooler, holier one (human life? Angel life? which is which, I wonder? You tell me), and above all, DEATH. Sure, the author tries to make the death of one of my favourite characters in this book (I'm not going to spoil it for you) as painless and even as grand and beautiful as possible, unlike in reality (oh damn, I forgot they were ANGELS, we are merely pathetic lowlife HUMANS) and that the dying character still looks cooler than ever in the process, even in the afterlife. But what the author focuses on is the main character, Clara's problems as she deals with accepting the harsh reality, her delinquent brother, her mom's dangerous ex-lover, and her future. Swell life, huh? You couldn't pay me to be in Clara's shoes.
Maybe you can. As most fans of Unearthly have foreseen despite the lack of angelblood telepathy, seer powers or any other superpowers, yeah, there is one heck of a love triangle in the book. Wow, Clara gets to be confused over choosing to be with two drop-dead gorgeous, popular, perfect, yet different hotties, Christian and Tucker, whereas in our pathetic little lives, some of us have none to swoon over, and end up staying at home eating one's own cheerios in the on weekends instead of having someone to bring us to, I don't know, Hoback and all? (Now why on earth is there an arrow pointing in my direction over my head right now?) But really, the author doesn't make it pretty for Clara either. I think I stick to my previous stand earlier.
One thing that I would have wanted more of in this book - I seriously think that Jeffrey's character was downplayed in this book. Since he's undergoing a real rough time in the book, shouldn't more attention from the family be paid to him? When he starts closing himself up, runs away and all? Literally nobody pays attention to his delinquency, or disappearance, at least from Clara, which to me, is pretty disturbing. (If you ask me, I am guessing that Jeffrey joins the dark side in the last book, but hey, it's just a guess)
This book takes on the harsh reality of growing up and loss which doesn't require any angel-blood genes for readers to empathise with. I say that this book is pretty predictable, plot and all, but it's the telling of the story that catches readers off guard. The melancholy, the melodrama, the conflict, the pathetic yet flawless execution of this book will never let me look at the first book again without shedding a tear.
For me happy endings are a must, so the last book better let all the characters' lives end on a sweet note, because while waiting eagerly for 2013 to arrive before i hit the shelves again, I really am pawning off more than what i can emotionally bargain for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hallowed.