Mike's Reviews > The Lifted Veil

The Lifted Veil by George Eliot

Dec 30, 2011

liked it
Read from December 29 to 30, 2011

Perfectly likable, provocative little ditty. Five-star insight with okay character and shaky plot. The following is a quote I want to add as a little coda that exemplifies some of my reservations about Absence of Mind. Yes, I'm using another review to further review something else.

"Conceive the condition of the human mind if all propositions whatsoever were self-evident except one, which was to be come self-evident at the close of a summer's day, but in the meantime might be the subject of question, of hypothesis, of debate. Art and philosophy, literature and science, would fasten like bees on that one proposition which had the honey of probability in it, and be the more eager because their enjoyment would end with sunset. Our impulses, our spiritual activities, no more adjust themselves to the idea of their future nullity, than the beating of our heart, or the irritability of our muscles."

This quote alone tempts me to throw Eliot the perfect ten; it's another block of text displaying yet again her staggering insight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifted Veil.