Meg ♥'s Reviews > Touch of Power

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: e-books, favs, z-2012-reads, cover-lover, botm-selections
Read from December 29, 2011 to January 02, 2012

3.5 Stars

Avry is a healer in a harsh world where healers are hunted, because everyone believes they started a plague. In fact, most healers have already been killed, and Avry has been in hiding for two years trying to avoid being murdered. She is soon abducted by a group of rogues who are trying to convince her to heal a prince that she really doesn't like. Throw in the fact that if she saves him, she loses her life and you see why they must convince her that the prince is worth saving. They take a long, wild journey to find the prince.

What I really enjoyed about this book was the adventure and characters. Avry is a sweet, strong, smart, selfless character. Usually when I think about a character so selfless the term "doormat" comes to mind, but this is absolutely not the case with Avry. She's willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good, but if you make her mad she will get in your face with a sharp comeback. Her band of friends are also really fun. Belen was such a sweetheart, and Kerrick was a great leader. I loved the loyalty and bond they shared for each other.

The plot was okay. I would give it stars for originality as I do think it was a unique story. For me it was a nice pace. The story moved quickly, but was easy to follow. Deduct stars for the fact that the plot pretty much goes nowhere, though. More about that in spoiler below.

What I did not enjoy was the predictability and pretty much everything about the ending. This part contains spoilers so more on that is here: (view spoiler)

This is my first book from Maria V. Snyder, and I find her to be an excellent story teller. Snyder's world building was exceptional in this book. As they went on their adventures I felt there with them in the forests, caves, castles etc... Her descriptions were raw, and the parts where Avry took someone's illness to herself felt really intense.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book until the last 1/3 of it. Despite my complaints, I feel the book was still quite good, and I'm glad I read it. I will definitely continue to read this series. I just wish we did not need to wait until 2013 for it!

Recommended for anyone looking for a fun, fast paced fantasy that you can just enjoy without having to think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Power.

01/01/2012 page 113

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola I want. this. book. NOW! Please? (:

Meg ♥ I'm just starting it now. It's in SS!

message 3: by Shirley (new) - added it

Shirley Cressman Is there Romance? What a lovely cover.

Meg ♥ Shirley wrote: "Is there Romance? What a lovely cover."
There is, but it's very little, and only in like the last 20 pages? lol Even then it's not really romantic it's just a conclusion to the build-up between Avry and Kerrick. I agree, the cover is so pretty!

message 5: by Daniel (last edited Jan 03, 2012 11:46AM) (new)

Daniel I wholeheartedly agree with with your gripe about these kinds of endings: why set up high stakes if you're not going to cash in on them?

Meg ♥ Exactly. So annoying! Thanks for reading and commenting, Daniel! :-)

Renée - Novel Nutcase Lol you know what. I hadn't seen this ending coming! MVS usually has major plottwists, so every time you think you know what's going to happen doesn't happen at all!

And because I was counting on a huge plot twist again, I didn't predict the predictable, so the predictable became unpredictable for me! lol! (that doesn't sound confusing at all! ROFL)

I really hope you read Poison Study soon, and I'd love to know your opinion on that!

message 8: by Shauna (last edited Mar 04, 2012 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Shauna You are so much more generous than I was with this one, Meg. You should seriously give Poison Study a go though- now that was Snyder on the top of her game (view spoiler)

Meg ♥ Shauna wrote: "You are so much more generous than I was with this one, Meg. You should seriously give Poison Study a go though- now that was Snyder on the top of her game [spoilers removed]"

Yeah. Everyone keeps recommending that series to me. I'm going to add it to my SOON tbr pile, because I really need to see if it's as good as everyone says! :-) Maybe when I see her at her best I will end up lowering my rating for this one. lol

Shauna Ha maybe. It's a good sign though, when an author at her (possibly) worst still merits a 4star rating.

Weena You must read Poison Study. It is way better.