Wendy's Reviews > Zero

Zero by Tom Leveen

Sep 03, 12

bookshelves: kindle, contemporary, ya-loved, ya-liked, ya-take-it-or-leave-it, awesome-inner-dialogue, mock-prints-2012
Read from February 27 to March 07, 2012

Thank you to NetGalley for providing the ARC.

ok.. 4.5 star, maybe just 4 for the lack of an exciting plot.

**spoilers ahead, ye be warned..oh, and also heavy sarcasm. I'm not a sexist, I swear**

I'm warning you right now. I'm going to use profanity in this review. Those who know me know I'm not much of a potty mouth. Except when I'm driving, but that's a whole different story.

I'm going to call bullshit to this so-called 'Tom Leveen'. Bullshit, Tom. Bullshit.

There is NO WAY you are a man. You have a man name, and a man picture, a man bio. There's even a video where it's "you" allegedly giving a book talk.

Give it up, man. Admit it: you were once a 17 yr. old girl.

**Sarcasm over. **

I was shocked, shocked I tell you, about 1/3 of the way through when I finally figured out that this 17 yr. old voice was coming out of the pen and mind of a man.

Ok, you're a man. I hate the word 'kudos', because it's the name of a delicious granola bar. But the the Greek word means glory. So in this instance, I will say kudos to you. I say it because that was one heck of a true to life voice from our pal Zero. Kudos to Tom the Man!!

I admit that this really sounds sexist of me, but it's not that. From my own experience being a 17 yr old girl, I can tell you that Zero and I shared the exact same inner rage, doubt, girly-giddiness, nervousness, disappointment and frustration.

Sometimes when a guy writes the POV of a teen girl, it can just sound so cliched, like, this is what he remembers the bitchiest girl in high school talked like, therefore this is a teen voice.

Enough gushing about Tom the Man.

This story takes a peek into the summer between graduation and freshman yr. in college for Zero, a passionate art student who got into her art school of choice, but doesn't have the money for the elite school.

There are Salvadore Dali quotes throughout, being her favorite artist. They took the place of the requisite "Favorite Classic Book" that every YA novel includes nowadays. But it was just a sprinkling, and seemed totally within character.

This is definitely a character doorway book, as there is a plot line, but not a lot of action. Everything takes place at a few places around Phoenix. The real worth in this book is the interpersonal relationships, and the growth of Zero the zero, into Amanda the artist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zero.

02/27/2012
03/03/2012 page 25
8.0% "I love books with hilarious inner dialogues..."
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy whoa... this guy's uncannily good thinking like a teen girl. lol

Rhiannon ok 1, that is soooo rude saying that author isnt a man. That almost like in the part of 'Zero' where that jock bumps into Zero and asks: "Are you a dude?" INSULTING!

Wendy I don't think you understand the 'sarcasm' part of the review.

I was clearly saying, "You are writing as if you are actually IN the mind of a teenage girl."

It was a compliment to his ability to write Zero as a completely believable teen was incredible. The beginning of that section says 'heavy sarcasm'.

I never called into question his 'manhood'. And after that section, I CLEARLY explain my meaning.

Rhiannon Mmmm, true. Sorry for the misunderstanding there

Elizabeth Zhang Is it just me, or was the ending just so powerful and full of meaning (along with a little lesson in life) that is totally gonna help all us teens make the right decision?

Wendy It's been so long since I've read it, I don't recall the ending. Refresh my memory?