Michael Eppelheimer's Reviews > POPism: The Warhol Sixties

Dec 29, 11

Recommended to Michael by: No one
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from December 18 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I was fascinated while reading this book, front to back. In it, Warhol is very open about his standpoint on his involvement with all of the people who orbited the factory in the 60s, open about his insecurities, his love and jealousy of fame and his fear that without all of the colorful characters, he might lose inspiration. His openness and acceptance of changing morals and what art could be and be about made the factory a nexus for that change bleeding out into society. Should he have been responsible for those who were drawn into his circle? I don't know the answer, but I sure wouldn't want a totally self-centered asperger's sufferer (my theory) to be taking care of me. I do feel he gave people who didn't belong a place to belong.

Favorite quote: "I've been quoted a lot as saying, 'I like boring things.' Well, I said it and I meant it. But that doesn't mean I'm not bored by them."

Highly recommended to anyone who loves or hates Warhol, you'll both find enough in here to justify your love or hate. Those indifferent will probably be bored.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read POPism.