Kat's Reviews > The Hour I First Believed

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hour I First Believed.

Quotes Kat Liked

Wally Lamb
“I don't know. Maybe we're all chaos theorists. Lovers of pattern and predictability, we're scared shitless of explosive change. But we're fascinated by it, too. Drawn to it. Travelers tap their brakes to ogle the mutilation and mangled metal on the side of the interstate, and the traffic backs up for miles. Hijacked planes crash into skyscrapers, breached levees drown a city, and CNN and the networks rush to the scene so that we can all sit in front of our TVs and feast on the footage. Stare, stunned, at the pandemonium--the devils let loose from their cages.”

Wally Lamb
“that's the funny thing about mazes: what's baffling on the ground begins to makes sense when you can begin to rise above it, the better to understand your history and fix yourself". (p. 717)”

Wally Lamb
“My soul was a burden, bruised and bleeding. It was tired of the man who carried it, but I found no place to set it down to rest. Neither the charm of the countryside nor the sweet scents of a garden could soothe it. It found no peace in song or laugher, none in the company of friends at table or in the pleasures of love, none even in books or poetry... Where could my heart find refuge from itself? Where could I go, yet leave myself behind?”

Wally Lamb
“It just wasn't for me, and anyway, those people were a lot more far gone than I was. More in my father's league than mine. I just cut back a little. Less beer and liquor, more jogging. I was fine.”

Wally Lamb
“God, that’s always the thing you have to decide with high school kids: what to make an issue of, what to let go.”

Wally Lamb
“..."I love you" was just three meaningless words without the actions that went with them”

Wally Lamb
“I wasn't a cynic; I was a banged-up realist.”

Wally Lamb
“So many bad things have happened to them that they can't trust the good things. They have to shove them away before someone can get it back.”

Wally Lamb
“Sometimes when you go looking for what you want, you run right into what you need.”

12/29/2011 page 60