Richie's Reviews > 'Salem's Lot

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Jun 25, 08

bookshelves: stephen-king
Recommended to Richie by: I read all Stephen King books, so there was no need for a recome
Recommended for: Fans of King.
Read in May, 2008

This book is really slow to get started. It deals with two characters through the first 50-75 pages. Simply referring to them as Ben and "the boy", the first few chapters deals with these two characters in Mexico. 'Salem's Lot picks up some speed when we find Ben returning to "The Lot". The middle section of the book is standard King writing style. By "standard style" I am referring to the way king always seems to show you tidbits of many different people, maybe a chapter per person, maybe a small sub chapter or even a page. All these different characters and situations seem to have nothing at all to do with each other. Only later in the book do all the people, and all their backstories come together in a way that all makes sense.

This is a great book, about two thirds of the way through it really picks up and you cannot put it down. This book is about Vampires, but it is done very well. Keeping the vampires very low key, not the stereotypical vampires with the slicked back hair and black cape. Very well done, and yet pretty open ended. The book starts slow, goes into flash backs and flash forwards, but never too spread out that you cannot follow.

FYI, there is two different "mini-series" I have seen the originals made for tv series, and it sticks to the book pretty close, but combines a few characters, and puts some events in different order. I would not recommend the mini series to highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 'Salem's Lot.