Fangtasia's Reviews > precious_boy

precious_boy by K.Z. Snow

Sep 06, 12

Read from September 05 to 06, 2012

May/December romances are pretty common though, for me, the realities of a large age difference detract from my enjoyment of the trope. It's the eternal conflict in paranormals, where the immortal being falls in love with a mortal. There's always the "Sword of Damocles" over their heads, time or disease will sooner rather than later separate them. Not to mention the difficulty of buying into a relationship where the people involved are in such different places in their lives.

This story deals with these issues in a believable way. There is a significant age difference, but not so much that it's insurmountable. Jon is not really that old, and Ethan is weeks away from age of consent. As demonstrated by the background story between Ethan's Dad and Jon, a short few years will do away with the age difference that, at the time of the story, seems so big. Furthermore, circumstances conspire to make Jon feel unsure of himself, while in Ethan's case, they have made him pretty mature for his age. Both men have had life experiences to make their behavior in the story plausible. Excellent job, Ms. Snow!

The plot is original for a common trope, the characters endearing and hateful as they were intended to be, the settings appropriate and not so detailed as to become distractions, and the sex scenes were well placed and very hot. My only niggle is that Jon seemed to behave and think too old for his stated age. But then, I guess there are people like that and it did work out for him to be like that in the story.

Highly recommended. Enjoy!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read precious_boy.