Stephanie's Reviews > The Memory of Earth

The Memory of Earth by Orson Scott Card

Dec 29, 2011

it was ok

This series had good potential, and I liked this novel, but once the series started getting "preachy" I dropped it like a hot potato. Card is a perfectly decent writer, though his style is pretty straightforward and lacking much flourish, but he let's his personal beliefs creep into most of his works. If it were just a couple of his novels that were thinly veiled Mormon mythologies it would be fine, but a large percentage of his later work is very colored by his religious beliefs. This novel and the subsequent novels in the series are basically a retelling of the Mormons move from the East coast to Utah with some space thrown in. It's lazy scifi and lazy religious allegory to me. If I don't think about Card's preachiness then I like this novel (solid 3 stars.)
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory of Earth.

message 1: by Crew (last edited Nov 03, 2014 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Crew "This novel and the subsequent novels in the series are basically a retelling of the Mormons move from the East coast to Utah with some space thrown in." FYI: this is not a retelling of the Mormons move from the East coast to UT with space. Instead, it is a fictionalized retelling of the first few chapters of the Book of Mormon, and the sequels take up subsequent chapters in the Book of Mormon. I call lazy research on you. But that's okay. One question though, other than the Alvin Maker series and this series, which other books are "thinly veiled Mormon mythologies"? Seeing as how you couldn't even get the obvious Book of Mormon paralell in this book, I'm not sure I trust your ability to identify a "Mormon mythology" but instead are simply regurgitating what others tell you and behaving prejudicial toward Card for being Mormon and allowing some of his values to shape how his characters act.

Stephanie Are you a Mormon? If so you are the rudest one I've met. You would make Orson Scott Card proud.

Crew Yes, I am Mormon. I'm sorry if pointing out inaccuracies and hyperbole in your review seems to be rude. I appreciate that you looked past the "preachiness" and were able to give it three stars. I just think that if a reviewer is going to make a factual claim about where the story came from, that fact should in fact be a fact.