Flora Bateman's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Feb 09, 12

bookshelves: classics, dystopia
Read from February 07 to 09, 2012

I didn't particularly love the style this was written in but I loved the premis of the book and the message that it held. Its pertinent to any generation and all societies and I think this is one book that everyone should read. Guy Montag lives in a futuristic society that has many of the qualities of our own society. In his world its illegal to read books and firemen start fires instead of put them out. The society of his time is interested in the pursuit of pleasures and not of knowledge. They choose to turn a blind eye to what goes on in the world and people are very self centered. Books are burned not because of the stories they contain but because they encourage people to think for themselves. Anyone that thinks for themselves, has ideas about life, or wants to socialize anyway besides in front of their t.v's that take up whole walls, are considered strange and must be dealt with. There is so much more to this book besides speaking out against censorship. This is a great classic that everyone should read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.

02/08/2012 page 113