Dawn's Reviews > The False Princess

Jan 01, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: ebook, fiction-fantasy
Read from December 29, 2011 to January 01, 2012

A cute, light read "The False Princess" will likely appeal most to the younger female end of the Young Adult set. It has a simple switched-at-birth plot, but is nonetheless engaging, with a slight twist tossed into the mix to keep it interesting. O'Neal doesn't sink to condescension, but keeps the language simple enough that preteens should happily devour this.

Our setting here is your average generic anglo-european fantasy world, this one salted rather sparingly with magic handled by wizards. For our central character we have Sinda, who is raised as the princess, only to be told suddenly that she is only a stand in... and the real princess is returning tomorrow. Sinda is sent away from the palace and now must find not just her place in the world, but who she actually is, if she isn't the Princess.

The basic teen-reading tropes of kind-but-thoughtless parental figures, stern disciplinarians and batty-but-lovable teachers all make appearances here. But all in all it's a fun little story, with just the right mix of romance, adventure and light fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Princess.