Lady Lioness's Reviews > The Cat

The Cat by Jean Johnson

Dec 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: genre-fantasy-romance, read-december-2011, subgenre-magic, subgenre-non-earth-planet
Read on December 29, 2011

See my review of The Song for my feelings about the repetitive language in the Sons of Destiny series. The Cat lost a star from me because I really didn't like the heroine, Amara, but in all fairness, I wasn't really supposed to. Johnson writes her as very arrogant and abrasive & part of Amara's character arc is overcoming the negative aspects of those traits. So Johnson did exactly what she set put to do, but I still didn't grow to like Amara. There is also a lot of literal world-building taking place in this book as Amara was trained as a city-builder and much of what she does in the book concerns designing the community that Nightfall will become. It was interesting seeing how they adapted various construction techniques and how they planned for future city growth, but it wasn't exactly heart-pounding action either. I'm moving onto The Storm next, but, so far, I feel like you could skip The Cat with little difficulty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat.