Shinn's Reviews > Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Dec 30, 11

bookshelves: 2011, canada, children, classic, family-and-relationships, humour, nature, rural
Read in December, 2011

The one hundred books I've read this year have all been very different but I wanted my 100th book to be something familiar and Anne of Green Gables is that, in a way, even if I never read the original story before.

Like many other classics, I feel like I always knew Anne and Avonlea because others spoke of it so much and because I did see the movie adaptations as a child. I do not regret putting this off for so long because this book seems written for grown-ups as much as children.

At the same time, an adult reader of the story can detect the less than shiny-happy subtext. Anne's removal to Green Gables from the orphan asylum might be a welcome change of fortunes and yet it reminds me of the often unfortunate fates of Home Children and Canadian orphans that I've read about in other books this year. Anne grows up in a society that can be often restrictive for all its warmth and intimacy. And it's still a world where women can't vote or aspire to the same professions as men.

Despite this, I liked the story and it's idyllic setting. One can almost see Lucy Maud Montgomery's nostalgia permeate the pages. Anne is a stronger character than expected. Naturally, I can relate very well to her, even if she is more of an optimist than I ever was as a child (I think I'm much more cheery now!). I liked the other characters as well, especially Matthew, although I think many of Anne's classmates are rather indistinct. I liked the evolution of Anne's relationship with Gilbert and the ending, the thought of a "bend in the road" was strangely comforting. Most of all, I loved the beautifully lush descriptions of Prince Edward Island from the trees to the sea, the "white and rosy winter afternoon" and the "chilly purple autumn twilights".

It was a pleasure to read this book during my own winter afternoons, in the light of my Christmas tree, and a very good way to wrap up 2011 :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Green Gables.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jigar (new)

Jigar Brahmbhatt congrats! you did it.

Shinn Thanks Jigar :)