Brenda's Reviews > True North

True North by Marie Force

Jan 03, 12

Read from December 29, 2011 to January 03, 2012

I have to say that I started out this story a little put off, but the rest of the book make up for it. The story starts off with a wedding, and both of the main characters describe the bride and groom as "homely-as-sin" and "unattractive", while the hero of the story tells of how they call the bride Horse-Face when she's not around. As it turns out she is the cousin of our heroine, who is an above average beautiful Sports Illustrated swimsuit model. Sigh. I had NO problem with the description of the wedding dress and the other clothing, hair etc. It made me chuckle. The bride ends up being a dear friend of the heroine, Liana, and it turns out she's funny, caring and loves her cousin enough to worry about her. I'm no doubt being overly sensitive here, but I thought there must have been a way to convey the brides mannerisms and looks without being quite so harsh.

Why am I giving the story four stars? I really did end up loving the characters, the romance and the plot twists. The story has a secondary romance between another model and a friend of the hero that adds extra suspense. The writing in True North is wonderful. The characters are likable and engaging. I cared about their happiness and safety; celebrated with them as things worked out. These things made the story a four star read, even if I did get put off with the beginning of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True North.