Clare's Reviews > Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History

Sex on the Moon by Ben Mezrich

Dec 29, 11

Read in November, 2011

This was much more successful than our previous forays into audiobooks, which probably means that I should let Dave make all future road-trip audiobook selections. I always admire writers who can take a non-fiction event and make it read like fiction (in the vein of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood), but in the back of my mind, I'm always wondering which facts and quotes have been twisted in the process. However, when I was able to silence my inner journalist, this was a rather enjoyable story. I didn't really mind the long build-up to the main event (though that could be due in part to being held captive in a car for 16+ hours), because I think it helped to explain how Thad Roberts could be motivated to do something so monumentally dumb. Also, I thought Mezrich did a good job of slowly building a sense of unease that this all was really not going to end well. And, although I can't say that Casey Affleck would have been my first choice of a voice to listen to for hours on end, I do have to commend him on an excellent job differentiating the characters' voices (my main pet peeve with audiobooks, apparently)—they were different enough that you could easily tell who was talking, but not so over-the-top that it was distracting.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex on the Moon.