Lady Lioness's Reviews > The Song

The Song by Jean Johnson

Dec 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: subgenre-magic, subgenre-non-earth-planet, read-december-2011, genre-fantasy-romance
Read on December 28, 2011

Eh. I have figured out that while Johnson's world building skills are excellent, the stories themselves could use more of a polish. Johnson seems to be trying to make each book accessible to every reader, meaning you could start the series with any book and be able to follow along. The downside to this is that fans who began with book one, The Sword, have to put up with info dumps in each book. I don't think it's as noticeable if you read each book when they first came out, a year or so apart, but if you re-read them in a matter of days like me, there's a fair amount of "I know this already" that takes place.

As far as The Song itself is concerned, it's better than The Wolf, but not as good as The Master. The main redeeming point of The Song is that the overall series arc gets a major push forward. Since the relationships between all the heroes and heroines are very similar, events surrounding the series arc is what keeps the books feeling fresh and different. So while The Song may not be beyond fabulous, it's still an important book in the series as that's when the bell rings, if you catch my drift.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song.