Julie's Reviews > Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George

1019307
Jun 23, 08

Recommended for: everyone

The ability to tell a story with characters who have warmth, humor, and humanity to them is my greatest reason for loving Jessica Day George's work. Sun and Moon is a fabulous retelling of the fairytale: East of the Sun West of the Moon. The Nameless ninth daughter of a poor woodcutter saves a white deer and is given the gift of speaking to animals which leads her on an adventure where she's stuck living with a polar bear for a year and a day so her family can have wealth. Loved the book, love the moments of humor, loved the characters, and HATED that it all ended when I closed the book.

I love how our heroine was spunky and imaginitive enough to try to solve her own problems (even if she made a few things worse for herself) I can easily see fans of fairy tales placing this book on their "favorites" shelf. The writing was beatuiful and lyrical, and yet straightforward and simple to read, which makes it accessable to a wider audience. Loved it and cannot wait for more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cayenne Nice review Julie. I'm glad you are writing yourself now. You have a gift.