Kayla's Reviews > Tunnels

Dec 30, 11

Recommended to Kayla by: Megan H
Recommended for: Anyone and Everyone
Read on March 01, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

This is by far one of my favourite book series of all time. It tells the story of Will Burrows, a British teen who is immersed in the world of archaeology. His father, who is also interested in archaeology, discovers a tunnel in their basement and gets so wrapped up in this project of trying to find out where it leads. He discovers that not only is there one tunnel in their basement: there are several little portals around their home city of Highfield leading to the same mysterious undisclosed place. After a couple weeks, Will's dad goes missing and things start to get very unusual in Will's life. While Will is searching for his dad with his friend Chester, they also stumble upon the same tunnel that Will's dad was investigating. They decide to go in the tunnel, and accidentally enter a very sinister subterranean town called The Colony. Will then starts to think that the creepy, weird inhabitants of The Colony have taken his dad. Chaos ensues shortly after that.
The plot of this book is so well thought out, and there's so many unexpected plot twists. I personally like creatively creepy books, and Tunnels is very creative with its creepy factor. There is a scene in this book where *no serious spoiler here* a construction worker stumbles upon a window portal to the underground town during a dig, and what he sees in the portal completely got me excited for what was to come in the future of the story; it was so creepy and good! Aside from the plot and tone, the characters are super neat to read about, too. They're very well structured, and they develop a lot as the story goes on.
The only problem I found with this book is that it is very slow to start. In the beginning, it seems as if the story will never pick up pace, but it does- very much so. If you are reading this book and are thinking the same thing, keep reading! It gets much better by about halfway through the book.
When it finally picks up pace, one of the main things I noticed was that it gets darker. This is definitely a book not to be underestimated. There are a few torture scenes (which are some of my favourite parts in the book because of their intensity) that are really well worded and uniquely executed.
I definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes creepy, imaginative stories about creepy little underground towns.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tunnels.