Jessica Day's Reviews > Jessica Rules the Dark Side

Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Dec 29, 2011

Read in December, 2011

This was a spectacular sequel to Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side! It has action, mystery and a good romance.

Jessica Rules the Dark Side took me a while to get into. When I started it, all I could think was, “where the heck did the old Jess go?” I still remembered the Jess from Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, who was strong-willed and courageous. I remembered the girl who threw a pitchfork at a vampire’s foot. In the beginning of JRTDS, all I saw was a really depressed Jessica who really didn’t want to be a princess.

The book quickly takes a turn for the better. The plot thickens and the stakes (ha-ha get it, vampires, stakes?) rise. Jess has no choice but to step up and lead. My favorite parts of the book were those when she realizes how to rule and matures a little. This novel had quite a bit of coming-of-age parallels and I consider that a good thing.

I was ecstatic to see Mindy again. Plus I thought her love interest was très sexy. Raniero, a hippy vampire with a dark past, added another mystery to the story. I found myself growing close to both characters and saw them as the real entertainment to the novel.

JRTDS is full of action, mystery and romance, along with unique characters and an interesting plot. If you liked Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, Jessica Rules the Dark Side will not disappoint you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jessica Rules the Dark Side.