Rich Weatherly's Reviews > One More Ride in the Rain

One More Ride in the Rain by K.M. Weiland

Dec 29, 11

Read in December, 2011

One More Ride in the Rain

I've come to expect well crafted writing from K.M. Weiland. This short story delivered all that I expected. The description and previous reviews provide a good synopsis of, "One More Ride in the Rain." I want to share more about how the story connected with me.

The small Confederate cavalry unit is down to three troopers and a critically wounded sergeant after loosing two fellow members of their group the previous day. The story is a first person narrative and we see the events unfold we learn they've fought from Maryland to Georgia. They've been "fighting and bleeding" for more than three years. They are out of provisions and need shelter. They soon find shelter and a cooperative widow in a shack by the side of the road. The widow provides them aid, comfort and what little she has in the way of nourishment; hardtack and pone.

We learn they are in close proximity to Sherman's forces as Union forces mowed down everything in their path. We get a good glimpse of the camaraderie that develops between those sharing common trials in a hostile environment. Ms. Weiland shares their plight in a delicate and sensitive manner. There is no judgmental tone. We see them as men who have learned to communicate through non-verbal gestures.

Near the end of the story we hear and feel the advance of encroaching artillery rounds. The men know they are engaged in a hopeless cause. They've been surrounded by death and wounded in a fight for which they see honorable way out. Eventually the question arises - do we go back, or, do we stay and fight?

In many ways this is a universal story. How long does one continue to fight for a loosing cause. I suppose it depends on the cause. Having served with honor, should they reverse their course. When is it right to no longer fight? These are decisions that must be made by the broken, battered and honorable Confederate cavalrymen. Read the story to decide how you would decide.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One More Ride in the Rain.