Hilari's Reviews > A Great and Terrible Beauty

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Dec 29, 11

I picked this book up as a quick, fun read. About 20 pages in, it seemed very familiar. I couldn't tell if it was because the plot was predictable or if I had read it before. About 50 pages in I grew tired of the story and the characters and skipped ahead. That is when I realized, not only had I tried to read this novel before, I had also gotten bored and skipped to the end!

The girls all seem too modern and too American. Their insults were cruel and obvious, not cunning as I would expect from well-heeled young English ladies. And the adult supervision is more than a little sketchy.

Bottom line, the story could be interesting to those who can overlook the character flaws, anachronisms and stereotypical portrayals of gypsies whose existence barely present a plot blip.

A good thing about the novel is that it is one of the very few YA stories that doesn't center on young girls doing whatever it takes to obtain the "perfect" boyfriend. I'd recommend it to girls 12 and up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Great and Terrible Beauty.