Ron Arden's Reviews > Soul Music

Soul Music by Terry Pratchett

M 50x66
Jan 03, 12

Read from December 29, 2011 to January 02, 2012

Terry Pratchett brings hilarity to another aspect of life as we know it, in the non-Discworld world. This story is about music and how "Music with Rocks In" changes people's lives.

I really enjoyed how this tale that recalls the start of rock music is applied to the crazy world of Ankh Morpork and its surrounding cities, villages and towns. Buddy, a human, finds a guitar in an old music shop and becomes their version of Elvis. The guitar is imbued with some type of life and plays the most amazing tunes. Only Buddy can play it. His other band mates, a dwarf, and a troll, play rocks (or drums) and a horn. They become a band and start playing in a few bars. It reminds me of the early days of The Beatles.

One of the side stories is of Susan, who is DEATH's granddaughter. She winds up picking up the family business, because her grandfather is taking some time off. Susan winds up intertwined in the lives of the band, because she thinks its stupid that people just die whenever the sand runs out on their life timers.

Everything winds up for the best at the end, with DEATH going back to work, Susan going back to school and the music world going back to whatever it was that it was before the story began. Although, I think some of the music with rocks might stick around for a bit.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Music.