Stephanie Ward's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

May 22, 12

bookshelves: owned
Read from April 22 to May 22, 2012

First, I want to mention how much I love this cover! I think the Gothic feel of the girl's dress, umbrella, as well as the dark fog perfectly fit the book. I love the colors that were used too - they solidified the Gothic feel for me.

Being a huge Poe fan, I was eager to read this book. It was a dark novel based in a dystopian world where infection ran rampant. People were forced to wear masks at all time to avoid being infected and most couldn't even afford to buy a mask. Araby seems to be a thoughtful character amid her shallow friends and shows concern for the people who have been infected. This is largely due to her past, which is elaborated upon in the book and is very well written into the rest of the novel.

The book speaks of many topics including love, friendship, fear, revolution, family, and sense of self. Through it's dark narrative, Griffin weaves a story unlike any other I have read in the dystopian genre. The only thing that kept my mind wandering from the heart of the story was the setting. It's purely dystopian with no clue as to whether it is past or future or a different planet altogether. I believe that because I haven't read much dystopian literature before, that this minor detail kept me curious as to when this book was happening.

Once I was able to set aside the timing of the novel, I thoroughly enjoyed the story. The ending had me a bit disappointed, as there didn't seem to be any real closure to the book. It seemed a bit wide open - perhaps like there should be another book after it (which I'm not completely sure about). I highly recommend this book to everyone, especially fans of Young Adult, dystopian, and Poe.

Disclosure: I received an ecopy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

04/22/2012