Jane's Reviews > Acedia & Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer's Life

Acedia & Me by Kathleen Norris

Feb 01, 12

Read from December 29, 2011 to February 01, 2012

I came to this book with high expectations, since I loved her other books. I loved sections of this book as well, particularly her stories of her own encounters with acedia, and the stories that arose from her marriage to David Dwyer, also a poet. My problems were with chapters that consisted of one quotation after another. It became boring, induced acedia, as though I were reading a text of the history of acedia as told by Christian mystics and philosophers. Eventually I skimmed. But the passages that kept me reading were exquisite, and described an emotional/spiritual desert that is familiar to me. The book is passionate about language, even language that describes the complete absence of passion. Norris also describes the monastic cures for acedia--prayer, the psalms, repetition, ordinary life...she cite a study that describes the importance of ordinary rituals and routines--the study monitored the daily habits of couples to determine what habits prouced good and stable marriages..they found one ritual--the embracing of one's spouse at the beginning and the end of day. It didn't seem to matter if your heart was always in it, a perfunctory peck on the cheek made a difference in the quality of the relationship. She writes, "Whatever you do repeatedly has the power to shape you, has the power to make you over into a different person, even if you aren't 'engaged' in every minute."

It's a book to return to when acedia rears its head, but I'll go directly to those passages that spoke to me...there were a dozen...as well as the heartbreaking chapter in which Norris cares for her husband during the final years of his illness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acedia & Me.