Krys's Reviews > Rules of Attraction

Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Feb 19, 14

bookshelves: medium-length-book, romance-genre, young-adult, alternating-dual-multi-narratives, first-person-narrative, read-in-2012, lgbtqi, series
Read from May 26 to 28, 2012, read count: 1

The second book in Simone Elkeles Perfect Chemistry series focuses on the second Fuentes brother. I kept going in the series because I was curious to see what Elkeles would do with this brother that would set him apart from his older brother, Alex, whom the first book focuses on. This one is a tad disappointing though. It differs very little from book one except for the setting and the girl. Otherwise, it's very similiar... too similiar in feel for my tastes.

Rules of Attraction follows Carlos and his exploits moving to Colorado to live near his brother. When Alex and Brittany went to college they decided on Colorado to be near her instiutionalized older sister, Shelley, who has Cerebral Palsy. In order to escape the Chicago Latino Blood gang the Fuentes' moved first to Mexico. When Carlos proved to be too much his mother shipped him out to Colorado to straighten him up. Carlos is hardheaded and a trouble maker and he immediately despises the quiet outdoorsy nature of Colorado and the residents there. He meets Kiara, a tomboy with a stutter and a penchant for mechanics. He mistakes her gay best friend, Tuck, for her boyfriend and gives her a hard time at first. Sparks fly even further when, through a series of circumstances, Carlos finds himself living with Kiara's family. The two are polar opposites but find themselves drawn to one another with each passing day.

Rules of Attraction was my least favourite of the three books. I don't really have a lot to say about it. It might be the fact that it's a middle book... it might be the fact that I felt it was too similar to book one... whatever it was I found it to be inferior. I never really connected with Carlos, though I adored Kiara. It's probably the only book where I felt like one of the brothers wasn't really worth it.

3 out of 5 stars.

- review courtesy of www.bibliopunkkreads.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of Attraction.