Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk's Reviews > Metro 2033

Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

Jan 16, 2012

bookshelves: apocalyptic, fiction, dystopian, science-fiction, russian, thriller
Read from December 29, 2011 to January 05, 2012

The Russians have a skill in writing apocalyptic, nightmarish stories. You only have to read the Strugatsky Brothers' "Roadside Picnic" (or watch the film version, "Stalker"), Gansovsky's "A Day of Wrath" or watch Lopushansky's amazing "Letters From A Dead Man" to realise that they understand what it is to live on the edge of the abyss.
Claustrophobic, dark cul-de-sacs of danger and terror, "Metro 2033" is a world of uncertainties and fear, hung on the fringes between survival and death. Criminals and refugees, traders and mystics... bullets used as currency... fear, and always uncertainty.
Artyom, our hero, is asked to deliver an important message that could affect the survival of humankind in the subways. On his way to the centre he is aided, and hindered, by a motley crew of individuals who reflect the chaos that reigns below. The voyage is full of menace (though moments of almost calm menace and surreality are not uncommon).
There is one brief sortie to the surface that becomes an adrenalyn-packed nightmare. I never realised that you can read a book through your fingers as you wait for the horrors to leap out from the ruins and the dark.
This is, of course, an Odyssey and our brave Ulysses has to strive through his labours as he comes face-to-face with the demons that litter his nightmare world distorted and turned inside out by humanity. His is a noble task and he is aided by heroic figures, heroes that could have stepped out of the ancient myths... Yet questions and doubts are raised constantly... what sort of humanity is it that Artyom wants to save?... and what nightmares come flowing down the dark tunnels of the Metro.
111 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Metro 2033.

02/02 marked as: read

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian Grayejoy Another great review. It's disturbing that Russians have found such a metaphor to describe their society.

Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk I'm not really surprised when you look at their history. It's a country in constant meltdown - psychopaths for rulers, tormented and thrown into ages of chaos by the Mongols and then melded into a disfunctional revolutionary state by the devil's apprentice, Stalin. There is a surreality about Russia and the chaos is lived out on the fringes; Siberia, the Ukraine, Chechneya.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Grayejoy You have to ask where it will lead.

And what could make an average Russian happy?

message 4: by Mieczyslaw (last edited Jan 31, 2012 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk Vodka and pickled herrings - at least that's what my dad told me. After the war he was trying to be a proper host to some Soviet POWs and fed them vodka and ham sandwiches. "Brakno" they said (not good) and insisted the only thing to go with vodka is pickled herring. They didn't seen to be interested in anything else. After eating it was sad songs. They're a strange lot the Russians... almost extreme in their emotions... just surviving in the middle.

Natalia Blixt I admire their way of cooping, they just adjust no matter what. Have never liked vodka with pickles though.

message 6: by Arni (new) - rated it 1 star

Arni Reading our summary of the story and en comparing it to the actual book proves that it's a much better idea than actual, completed novel. I loved the premise, but 90% in, I'm finding it hard to keep up interest. The story is all over the place and the characters are flat and uninteresting.

message 7: by Ventsi (new)

Ventsi Dimitrov Great review! I can't wait to start reading this book!

message 8: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Fernandez Just started reading because I enjoyed the PC game so much and the comments posted encouraged me. So far so good...

gbcjr Thank you! You added more books to read on my list that I've never heard of!!!

message 10: by Sarfaraz (new)

Sarfaraz Khan Mr. Kasprzyk, I read the book after reading your review, and I must say that I wasn't disappointed. Thank you.
What is your opinion about Metro 2034? Or am I better off reading the other books you've recommended (Roadside Picnic, Day of Wrath)?

message 11: by Dmitry (new)

Dmitry my name is dmitry too