Anna's Reviews > You Must Be My Best Friend . . . Because I Hate You!: Friendship and How to Survive It

You Must Be My Best Friend . . . Because I Hate You! by Emily Dubberley

Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: owned-ebook, psychology
Read from February 09 to 23, 2012

If you are an adult and want to read a book about friendship, don't read THIS book. Although it pretends to be grown-up stuff, it doesn't go further than the level of a teenage girl - and a very silly one too. It is superficial to the point of being ridiculous - and barely digestible. Ms Dubberley obviously thinks she's extremely wise when she points out such unexpected and amazing truths as "sleeping with you friend's boyfirend can be bad for your friendship" or "if you never call your friend, it may upset her". Wow. Surely we didn't know that before, did we?

Ms Dubberley is also, evidently, mature beyond her years, so she uses a lot of slang, describes a lot of wild parties, pointless flings and exuberant alcohol, and warns us against the dangers of having sex with your friends. I had a vague impression I was reading a collection of random "let's chill out and get dirty" episodes rather than a "friendship guide" the book claims to be.

P.S. The stories in the book are so obviously not real that I kept wondering why the author even bothered to pretend that they were.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Must Be My Best Friend . . . Because I Hate You!.