Aimee's Reviews > The Island

The Island by Victoria Hislop

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from December 29, 2011 to January 08, 2012

I know that some people will think 5 stars may be too much as it is only a 'beach read' but I really do think it's amazing, it's a story within a story, which I just love, beach read kind of implies that it's easy and you don't have to think too much but last summer I was reading Angel and Demons on the beach and that is definitely not a beach read so that theory is stupid.
The characters are amazing and I find I constantly switch allegiances to different characters which I think proves how they are not just one dimensional and in every character you love and hate them. Which makes it more real.
The Cretan setting of this book just makes me want to move to Crete.
The title The Island also implies that the book is wholly on this island, but it's not, and you find for a chunk of the chapters it has nothing to do with the Island at all.
I just loved this book and deciding on my next book is going to be difficult as I literally could not put this one down.
My mum read this before me as well and loved it, who got it from my auntie who loved it and now my mum's best friend is reading it after me.
I think for 'modern fiction', it's great! Then again, everyone does have different tastes so I appreciate not everyone will enjoy it, people critizing the way it is written, fair enough, at times I did find myself thinking something was lacking but I still just couldn't put it down because the plot line was just brilliant and like no book I've ever read and essentially that's all that matters. That you actually enjoy reading the book.
I also plan to read another one of Victoria Hislop's books this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island.

01/01/2012 page 182
01/02/2012 page 291
62.0% "Such a good book! Can't put it down!"
01/02/2012 page 352
74.0% "Dont want it to end! So want to visit Greece now more than ever!"
show 9 hidden updates…