Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Tricked

Tricked by Kevin Hearne

Hm. This wasn’t what I expected at all. I was tempted to give Tricked only three stars, but then I decided against it because Hearne’s writing and research deserve some reward after all. That said, me counting pages to the end is never a good sign, and I caught myself doing it more than once.

I didn’t mind the extensive worldbuilding and the occasional mythology lessons in the first two books, quite the contrary. I got a little tired of it in book three, but I was tempted to skip entire passages in book four. And yet I didn’t because I was determined to carefully read every single word so that I can be sure the problem is him, not my lack of attention. And guess what? It’s him. There was simply not enough to connect the huge infodumps in this book, especially in the first part. While I’m always up for a challenge and I’m more likely to enjoy a book that actually teaches me something new, it still bothers me when parts of it read more like a textbook than like an actual novel.

With a group of Norse gods hot on his heels, everyone’s favorite Druid Atticus Sullivan must come up with a solution that will keep him, his hound Oberon and his apprentice Granuaile safe. Fortunately for them all, he’s made some friends along the way too. With a little help from the Morrigan and Coyote, he succeeds in throwing them off his trail by faking his own death. But making a deal with a trickster god, however benign it may seem, is never a good idea! Pretty soon, Atticus has to face an even worse enemy – one he’s learned very little about in his two thousand years of existence.

Coyote is a common enough character in urban fantasy. I liked him in Patricia Briggs’ River Marked, really loved him in Allyson James’ Stormwalker series, but I think Hearne came closest to what I imagine a trickster god would be like. Both Briggs and James portrayed him as mischievous, but ultimately benevolent; however, Hearne clouded his intentions a little bit, made him even more unpredictable, and quite a bit dangerous.

This is the first time that I really felt the tiredness and the emotional depth I would expect from someone with two thousand years of experience. Atticus has millennia of losses on his shoulders and I loved that Hearne explored that part of him a little bit. I understand why he can’t dwell on his emotions too often, I do, but it’s unavoidable sometimes even for him. It was a nice change.
Usually I try to suppress any emotions that savor of regret, because they are invariably aperitifs to a main course of depression, and for the long-lived, that’s a recipe for suicide. But that doesn’t mean they can’t sneak up on me sometimes.
And, like, gang-tackle me.

As for the romance, in the interview he gave the lovely Missie at The Unread Reader, Hearne promised us a love interest for Atticus in Tricked, and he certainly didn’t lie. But if you’re expecting some big romance, you might end up disappointed. There are just subtle hints of one, more reluctant attraction than anything else, and it doesn’t affect the plot in any way. I, for one, appreciate this about the series. If I want romance, I read PNR. That’s not to say that I wouldn’t be happy if Atticus and the person he’s interested in get their HEA, I would. I just don’t think it needs to be a priority for Hearne.

I had pre-ordered this book about three months before the release date, just to be on the safe side (my paranoia knows no limits – what if ALL the copies were sold before I managed to get one?), and I will pre-order the next one. Hearne can easily be forgiven for this weak link in the series, he has more than earned it with the first three books.

Also posted at The Nocturnal Library

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tricked.

04/25/2012 page 48
14.0% ""She could be a Sith Lord with a vibe like that. Or a Wall Street executive.""
04/25/2012 page 80
24.0% ""You can be told that reading Victor Hugo will sap your will to live, but you can't understand what that means until you've read a few chapters and your eyes have glazed over and someone has to revive you with a defibrilator." LOL, I take it Mr. Hearne is not a fan." 7 comments

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 10: by Tim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tim Marquitz Maybe my expectations were too high, but I'm 14% into the book and all it's doing is making me hungry.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Yeah, I'm afraid I'm not really feeling it either. Possibly due to unreasonably high expectations, but I fear that the series lost some steam.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Also, have you noticed how Oberon sounds more and more like a human?

message 7: by Tim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tim Marquitz I hadn't noticed as it's been a while since I read the first three books. I'll have to go back for that, but I'm hoping the book picks up or I'm going to be disappointed.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) It's not getting any better though, not for me, at least.

message 5: by Tim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tim Marquitz I'm about halfway through and I'm struggling, which really sucks. I was looking forward to the book. :(

Rane Hearne hasn't disappointed me yet with TRD series, but I can understand the somewhat struggle in parts with the world and info. I feel it's getting better because we're able to see the struggle of Atticus and the years of hardship and lost. It not an easy road he's traveled and it made me love him even more as a character.
For me I was very happy Hearne didn't go that romance route, it's nice to see something build overtime, but not something that is jumped into or into the cliché area.
I give this book a 5 stars alone because of Oberon- I love that snugglepumkin!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Hah, yeah, the Snugglepumpkin bit was very funny, and Oberon is hilarious. I think Hearne went just a bit too far with the lectures on Native American beliefs, it was a bit tiresome and I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped to, I'm afraid.
I hope the next one will be better.

Tim, it does get a little better in the second half. One subplot was especially interesting and unexpected. The rest... not so much.

message 2: by Tim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tim Marquitz I'll finish it. If I can force myself though the first Nightside book, I can read anything. I just thought it would be stronger given the feedback and time from the first three.

Nadine I so see what u r talking about at ur review... :)