Bonnie's Reviews > The Genius Wars

The Genius Wars by Catherine Jinks

May 16, 12

bookshelves: 2009-books, young-adult, kid-genius
Read in February, 2012

Books about heroes in retirement are tough. They have everything they wanted (stability, family, safety) but they get a little antsy. Cue evil villain returning and throwing things in turmoil, and the hero having to step back up.

That's basically what happens in this book. Cadel finally has a real family, is in university and is still friends with Sonja. Then suddenly Prosper English comes back on the scene and everyone Cadel cares about is in the line of fire, starting with Sonja.

I find this part of the hero's journey less interesting for some reason. Maybe because the hero has gotten his happily ever after and I resent the fact that he still has to fight for it? Maybe because heroes in retirement are just not quite as badass as when they were still in the thick of things?

I don't know, but this book feels less awesome than the second one. Maybe the problem is really that Cadel is pretty much on his own for so much of this book. While others try to help him - and he uses some people - for the most part, it's Cadel fighting Prosper English and Fiona/Sonja/Saul are only bit players. I like Cadel best when he is with his support group. He is not as compelling when he is trying to solve everything by himself.

Still, this was a great series and I'm glad I stayed with Cadel until the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Genius Wars.