Danielle's Reviews > It's a Waverly Life

It's a Waverly Life by Maria Murnane

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, chicklit, for-review
Read in December, 2011

Recovering from a terribly bad break-up and moving into a career where she dishes out advice to recipients of terrible dates wasn’t exactly what Waverly Bryson had planned on. Charging forward into a new career, new life and potentially new love Waverly’s determined to make it but isn’t quite sure where to start. Fortunately for her she has some amazing friends, a fabulous new boyfriend and a very mysterious neighbor with a penchant for knowing exactly what she needs & when she needs to hear it. Things can go only up unless her appearance on a very popular morning news show goes completely wrong, but Waverly is certain that’s not possible.

Hilarious. If I had to sum up It’s a Waverly Life in one word that would be the one; hilarious! Waverly Bryson reminded me of every chick lit character I’ve ever loved and hoped for. She’s a bit of Becky Bloomwood and Elle Woods rolled into one smashing character. Not only is she funny, quirky and at times a complete klutz but she’s also intelligent, thoughtful and entirely human. Waverly is the kind of character you can see yourself in completely, because who hasn’t said (or not said) entirely the wrong thing at the wrong time?

Besides being completely in love with Waverly’s character I also loved the story. In a way it reminded me a great deal of Sophie Kinsella’s Shopaholic because of the newspaper columnist aspect of Waverly’s job and the writing style of the book, but there were a number of other things that stood out. Waverly’s relationships with her two other girlfriends were fantastic! On numerous occasions they get together over drinks and the humor that follows is second to none. At one point in the story Waverly offends her best friend Andie and what I enjoyed about this was that it wasn’t the end of the relationship by any means. You certainly have time to worry about their friendship, but it’s honest and real. In addition to the friendship aspect of the story I loved the character of “Red”, her next door neighbor and her co-workers at the newspaper Ivy and Nick. All of these relationships make up an astounding cast of characters that bring the story to life.

Of course I can’t fail to mention Waverly’s romantic interest Jake McIntyre because he was delightful. There were a few times I had wished things would move a little faster with the two of them, but their varying locations (one in San Francisco and one in Atlanta) made that a bit difficult. Overall though I loved that things seemed to progress relatively naturally for the both of them, it made it that much more believable and hugely more romantic.

It’s a Waverly Life by Maria Murnane is by far one of the funniest and most enjoyable Chick Lit novels of 2011! Waverly Bryson and her cast of friends, family and co-workers are a laugh a minute but carry very real and believable experiences with them throughout the pages of this brilliant story. Though this is the second in the Waverly Bryson series it easily could be a stand alone novel, though after reading it I don’t know how you could resist picking up the first in the series Perfect on Paper. Maria Murnane is an author I’ll be anticipating great novels from in the future and I’m honestly hoping there’s another story in the works with her fabulous leading lady Waverly!

Originally reviewed and copyrighted at my site, Chick Lit Reviews and News.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's a Waverly Life.