Kendra's Reviews > 77 Shadow Street

77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz

Apr 07, 2012

Read from January 01 to April 07, 2012

Just a quick comment before I even start reading. I'm pretty darn sure I will enjoy this book because it's NOT "old" Dean Koontz. So many readers whine about his writing having changed, but I like the new stuff. It's not predictable, it has odd sort of paranormal/magic/special gifts that make the stories different from most of the authors out there. I don't want my favorite writers to stagnate and write the same damn thing. I'm not the same person I was 20 years ago, why should my authors be the same? Like it or dislike it, but don't whine for the past. Move on, just like Koontz has, and like I do every time I see another whiner's comment

1/7/11 This book is freaking me out. I can only read it in bits and pieces because it is disturbing! It is well done, suspenseful, detailed but moves at a good pace. Dah......

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 77 Shadow Street.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-14 of 14) </span> <span class="smallText">(14 new)</span>

message 1: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Jones If they are like me, I imagine much of the griping centers around the fact that Koontz feels the need to inject his political commentary into the book with increasing annoyance with each new release. That and the fact that he replaced his relatively straightforward prose with overly flowery descriptions. I'll take 1980s Koontz any day.

Kendra I'm not at all up on politics, so I guess I'm not noticing the political commentary. I find his descriptions to be just enough without being over the top. I can't stand books where the descriptions take over and the author could have simplified things. This book is freaking me out with the story, details, suspense, etc.

Kendra Glad I entertained. =)

message 4: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Jones Kendra wrote: "I'm not at all up on politics, so I guess I'm not noticing the political commentary. I find his descriptions to be just enough without being over the top. I can't stand books where the descriptions..."
I was basically the same way. I only found the political commentary after people told me it was there. For some entries, like Breathless, it gets VERY obvious.

Lore Actually, I find that his newer works are much more predictable than his older works. I thought maybe it was because I've read every book he's ever written and his patterns are easily unraveled for me now. Not sure. Avid fan here though, don't get me wrong, but 77 Shadow Street was overly predictable, long winded, and not very original. Zero surprises and suspense. It was a compilation of his past subplots, characters, and sci-fi "bad guys" all rolled into one. I hope his next book is better!

Vicki G I've been reading Dean Koontz' books for 20 years now, and I haven't noticed that he HAS a new style. I like all the books he wrote back then, and I like all of them now.
Except for the fact that he reveres dogs in a way no cat-crazy lady can relate to, I love everything he writes.

message 7: by Cyn (new)

Cyn From what I recall, his political commentary is libertarian-based, which I find refreshing.

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Jones Cyneva wrote: "From what I recall, his political commentary is libertarian-based, which I find refreshing."

No it isn't.

message 9: by Cyn (new)

Cyn To you, maybe. To people who don't appreciate government intrusion at every turn, it is.

message 10: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Jones I mean it's not libertarian based, at least not anymore. How many libertarians do you know that complain about how traditional "morality" is falling apart with every dawning day?

message 11: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Ah - I get where you're coming from now. I misunderstood your original comment. LOL

message 12: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Jones Cyneva wrote: "Ah - I get where you're coming from now. I misunderstood your original comment. LOL"

No prob Bob. =D

Kendra Okay, have to say that the book was going along well, a lot of lead up to the "big" event(s) and then I was like um, what? Really? I did like the ending, but some of the premise was hard for me to swallow. Still enjoyable, and all the leadup was super entertaining and graphic and suspenseful.

bettina I agree with those who dislike 'newer' Koontz. His almost fundamentalist ramblings are more mental than fun, he has become horribly repetitive, not only recycling tired ideas, but near exact lines not only from book to book, but even multiple times within a book. Far too much of his writing has become filler, as if he has the framework for an idea he has become too lazy and complacent to bother with. His political and religious views seem to be the core of what he wants to get across, and his flimsy, poorly written novels are simply the vehicle he uses to do so. He has always been a poor man's Stephen King, albeit with flashes of greatness, but has become the old religious, preaching right wing nut, shouting from his soapbox about the 'new generation' and how things were better in his day .