Pang's Reviews > The Names

did not like it
Recommended to Pang by: Constant Reader book club's June 2008 selection
Recommended for: No one
Read in June, 2008

This is probably the hardest book I remember reading in a long time. I got zero enjoyment out of it. The book was considered one of the classics, though I just didn't get it. I didn't get if there was any plot, and the story was almost unreadable. I felt like it was babbling on and on. The suspense just wasn't that suspenseful. There was no significance about the murders, or the significance of Jim's job. I did get that he was led to believe something that may not had been... but it wasn't that big of a deal in relation to the entire book. The mystery about the murders just fizzled out somewhere in the middle. His writing was very descriptive, I give him that. He made me feel like I was in Greece, or anywhere else, with him. Also the political undertone was interesting. Still, they weren't enough to capture my attention.

One quote that really stuck with me was when Jim met up with Ann and they waited for Ann's son.
"... I think I perceived solitude as a collection of things. Being alone has components. I felt I was being put together out of these nameless things. This was new to me. Of course I'd been traveling, running around. This was the first quiet moment I'd had. Maybe that's all it was. But I felt I was being put together. I was alone and absolutely myself."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Names.