Alicia's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: adventure-suspense, fantasy, supernatural
Read from December 28, 2011 to January 15, 2012

A darkly quirky, Tim Burton-esque story about a guy who discovers that all his grandfather's fantastical stories were true, and he travels to a tiny British isle to discover the truth about the "peculiar children" and the monster only he can see. I enjoyed the bizarre atmosphere supplied by the old found photographs the author intersperses throughout, although sometimes the photos felt a little shoe-horned into the narrative, like he was completing a writing exercise: "tell a story that explains these 16 photographs."

I also enjoyed the narrator's voice. I may have been enjoying it as an adult, though, so I look forward to hearing feedback from my teen readers. It strikes me as a book written for adults, but the teen character and the strong market for all things teen and supernatural meant it was released as a teen novel.

The story lost a little steam near the end for me, but that's nitpicking. Still an enjoyable and memorable read. The blatant cliffhanger points to sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.