Dorothy's Reviews > A Simple Amish Christmas

Dec 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: amish-fiction
Read in December, 2011

It was challenging for me to give this three stars, but based on what the stars represent, it is suiting. I did like it. If I could have given this three and one-half stars, it would be more accurate. It's not as if I "really liked it" but I liked it well-enough.

This book was discovered on the list of popular free books for the Kindle. Because I enjoy Amish fiction, I didn't hesitate to download it onto my device. I had no preconceived notions about this book. All I wanted was something light and enjoyable, which would be perfect for the hectic holiday season. This book delivered.

Anyone who reads Amish fiction is well aware that the plot tends to be predictable. Most don't mind. It's more about the journey, even if it is to a known destination. The plot line for this book is certainly predictable. Actually it could have been condensed into half its size. Once I reached the middle of the book I was surprised to see that I still had half of it to read. It wasn't painful to read the rest; it just wasn't necessary.

Annie left home as a teenager to live with her Aunt. During that time she gains training and becomes a nurse. Due to a family emergency, she returns home. In no time she begins to clash with Samuel, who is the community's medical provider. Samuel views Annie as a child still, and Annie sees Samuel as being a gruff bear. Annie finds her place in the community and finds a way to give back to her people. Samuel begins to accept Annie as an adult. In the end, the characters find peace in areas of their life where it is most needed.

Overall the book was enjoyable and pleasant. It won't make it on my favorite list for Amish fiction, but it won't make it on the worst either. It was fine, and sometimes fine is good enough - especially when it is free.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Simple Amish Christmas.