Kim H's Reviews > A Lady's Lesson in Scandal

A Lady's Lesson in Scandal by Meredith Duran

Dec 28, 11

Read in December, 2011

I can't go into a detailed synopsis of this book right now - maybe later.
I mostly wanted to put a page holder in the review, and let anyone who is considering reading this know that I just finished it - actually, devoured it in about 36 hours - and that I highly recommend it.
I think of Meredith Duran as a highly competent writer, who, sadly, hasn't lived up to her full potential in her last several efforts. I thought that Wicked Becomes You was certainly good, but still not quite as good (as so clearly evidenced by Duke of Shadows)as Duran can get.
This story however, puts an end to a sinking suspicion I had that she never would write anything quite as good as that again. Not that this story is on quite the same level as DoS, but I have to admit that it is one of the better historical romances that I've read in quite a while. It kept me up well into the wee hours last night, and I was already groping for it first thing this morning. I managed to put it down without picking it back up and starting it all over again, but it is going on my keeper shelf, and I don't imagine I'll resist the temptation to re-read it for long.
I would best describe it as a lost heiress/Pygmalion story with a few twists, a much hotter than average hero, and a pretty exceptional heroine. I would grade it as a solid A, and it only just missed an A+ due to what I would call a couple of too quick & easy escapes in the external conflict, which I perceived as the hero a little too conveniently managing to charge in & save the day in a nick of time, when the corners the heroine had been written into seemed to require something a little more tricky.
That said, he charges in & saves the day awfully well, and nitpicking about convenience seems a little, well... nitpicky, given how great pretty much every other aspect of the story is. I really loved the H&H, and their romance was hot, well written, and thoroughly believable. The prose is nothing short of excellent, and in fact, Meredith's writing overall is as good here as it has ever been anywhere; in short, pretty amazing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady's Lesson in Scandal.