Barbara's Reviews > The Attenbury Emeralds

Dec 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, mystery-historical, suspense
Read on December 28, 2011

Oh, it is so hard to review this book. It has been so long since I've read a Dorothy Sayers' book. I no longer recall or remember Peter Wimsey’s and Harriet Vane’s relationship very well, though I do recall they were involved and eventually married. I am also confusing this with the Tommy and Tuppence series of Agatha Christie. Compound that with the fact that this book is not by Dorothy Sayers, but was a commissioned manuscript to be completed by Jill Paton Walsh that I just don’t know how I can provide reasonable review of this book.

Be that as it may be, I did enjoy the book. However it did seem to meander and ramble for awhile; that impression may be my fault. There are so many characters in this book, besides the main characters, that I could not seem to keep up or keep on track. Also, the story starts in one time period (the “present” for the main characters), but delves into the past and I was apparently reading it fast enough that I may have not been allowing myself the time to understand the story progression completely.

However, I did enjoy the “aging” of Harriet Vane and Peter Wimsey. Their apparent current and progressive relationship was realistic, believable and acceptable enough to me to be able to embrace this book. The relationship was also something I would have wished and hoped for this couple, though maybe not down to the details.

The story was complicated enough to engross, but did not end frustrating or discouraging me. I wanted to persevere and understand the underlying cause of the mystery and suspense.

I guess, overall, I would recommend this, with some reservations. Just don’t expect another Dorothy Sayers original.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Attenbury Emeralds.