Kasandra's Reviews > The Last Werewolf

The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

Dec 28, 11

Read in December, 2011

Since I haven't read any of Duncan's other books, I'm not certain whether, as a writer, he just isn't capable of stepping out of the way (I was always conscious that I was reading WRITING, instead of being allowed to relax into the story). Either that, or the "voices" of all his characters sound written for a Young Adult audience who don't mind plummy, repetitious, overwrought dialogue that frequently condescends. More than a whiff of misogyny surrounds this book, both in characterization and dialogue, both external and internal. The sex scenes are mildly explicit and almost clinical in their description: not at all sexy. The story's easy to visualize, on the plus side, rather film-like, and the dialogue is bearable if you pretend you're watching a modern "Sherlock Holmes" sort of movie where everyone's stagy and exaggerated. This was pretty entertaining, and fast-paced so that I read the book in an afternoon, but on the whole disappointing and formulaic, especially with the pitiful twists and turns near the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Werewolf.