CJ - It's only a Paper Moon's Reviews > Firelight

Firelight by Kristen Callihan

Dec 28, 2011

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy-romance, bad-boys-turned-good, demons, flooze, gaslight, if-you-can-read-my-mind, historical-romance, london-or-england, steamy, women-hero, victorian, romance, romantic-mystery, out-of-the-ordinary, just-plain-good
Recommended for: Fans of Psyche & Cupid, Fairy-Tale retellings with a twist, sensual and well written romance
Read from February 07 to 08, 2012

Seriously the best book of 2012 thus far. There were a few bumps and a couple of purple prose incidents but all in all, you would be an idiot to skip out on this book.

Strong allusions to Psyche & Cupid, which I found more prevalent than Beauty & the Beast (view spoiler) with its own touch of mystery, sensuality and presence.

It almost gets a five but there were parts of the story where the scenes were being choked by purple prose and could have been edited down. All in all, great story, strong hero and heroine (who are emotional but not fragile)and a HEA that is well deserved. I look forward to the next book, I'm just sad that Miri and Archer are not the mains.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.

Quotes CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Liked

Kristen Callihan
“Slowly, her slim hand smoothed over the swell of his buttock, lingering there. A shocked laugh choked his throat, the sound muddled by a stifled groan that her intrigued touch elicited. The saucy little sneak thief was copping a feel. He felt inclined to turn around and let her get a handful.”

Kristen Callihan
“Their eyes met, and that spark of something hot and sharp ripped through her again. Awareness. It took a moment to realize, but that was it. She was utterly aware of him. Of the breadth of his shoulders, the deep even way he breathed, the force of his gaze. Bloody hell, but she we beset by the craving to touch him, testing the strength in those shoulders.”

Kristen Callihan
“He took a quick breath, and his voice dropped. "You've no notion of the effect you have on me"

The words gave a hard tug to her belly. She closed her eyes and swallowed. "If by effect, you mean finding yourself in unchartered waters, wondering whether you are coming or going...." She stared at his shirt, watching his breath hitch. "Then I fear you have the same effect on me, my lord.”

Kristen Callihan
“With the suddneness of a cat leaping upon its prey, he leaned forward and caught up her wrist. "Tread lightly, Miranda Fair." His thumb moved lightly over her fluttering pulse, as she stared with her mouth assuredly hanging open in shock, her heart beating furiously within her breast."You know, it's never wise to tempt the devil." His gaze lowered to her hand, still locked in his grip, her fingers glistening with pear juice. "Had I not this mask, I should be of a mind to suck that juice right off of your fingers.”

Kristen Callihan
“His steps slowed to a stop. “Why?” His voice was a ghost in the quiet. “Why give me your trust when you know it is such an easy thing to break?”

“Perhaps the easy giving of it will make it harder to break”
tags: trust

Kristen Callihan
“Know this, there is only one truth left to me." His trembling fingertips caressed her jaw. "That I love you." He said it again, his voice broken, his arms pulling her tightly against him. "I love you. The rest is darkness."

Her fingers curled around the smooth swells of his biceps. "Then let me be your light.”

Kristen Callihan
“You're collecting pieces of me, aren't you?" His voice turned thick as warm toffee, rolling over her skin, heating it. "A bit here. A bit there. Soon you'll set me out on the table, to try and fit me back together."

Ignoring the flurries plaguing her belly, she affected blandness. "I've only got the corners. But it is a start."

A warm breath touched her neck. "I believe you have the centerpiece as well.”

Kristen Callihan
“What is beauty or ugliness but a false front that prompts man to make assumptions rather than delving deeper.”

Kristen Callihan
“Archer's finger grazed hers. 'I feel you. As if you were connected to me by an invisible string.' He touched his chest. 'I feel you here. In my heart.”

Kristen Callihan
“Because we know he was simply a man, with weakness and frailties.
Who yearned for the same things all of us do--to love and be loved”

02/07/2012 page 55
15.0% "I'm in love with Lord Archer already. A part of me can't help but think of this Archer: " 3 comments
02/07/2012 page 131
35.0% "Holy shit. Literally stole my breath away and they didn't even touch. *fans self*. Damn but Archer is hot." 8 comments
02/08/2012 page 298
80.0% "So of course my train arrives at my stop once we finally get to the SCENE." 1 comment
02/08/2012 page 298
80.0% "This is the second book I've read in which the hero wears a Carnival mask (or Carnival like) and holy shit, they make it sound good." 6 comments
80.0% "I would very much like to punch the shit of out McKinnon." 4 comments

Wicked Incognito Now Are you going to start this soon?

message 2: by CJ - It's only a Paper Moon (last edited Feb 06, 2012 09:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Yep. Probably tomorrow.

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Save the "prequel" for after this book. It's kind of more of a companion/deleted/extra scenes book.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon You got it. I may even start this book tonight. I'm excited!

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Give it a few chapters. It takes a few chapters to get its "groove" on.

Wicked Incognito Now I started it this afternoon too.

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I'll have to look up that Psyche and Cupid reference. Sounds interesting.

Wicked Incognito Now I JUST now got the connection between the name "Archer" and Cupid. DOH!!

Wicked Incognito Now But did you also notice a connection to Apollo? Because The Archer in mythology is traditionally Apollo, and Apollo is a twin to Artemis who is the Goddess of the Moon. Archer's sister Elizabeth is connected to the moon....

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon It's littered with Greekness. The Archer was also another name for Eros too. But I have to agree, I think it might be more of a Apollo/Artemis connection.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon LMAO

Yeah, but it'll be cool because I'll...I'll answer in GIF!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

hehehe

oh you're so ON.

Wicked Incognito Now CJ - You Carry On As If I Don't Love You wrote: "It's littered with Greekness. The Archer was also another name for Eros too. But I have to agree, I think it might be more of a Apollo/Artemis connection."

I also wondered about Victoria having some sort of Nike connection, but I never could pin it down.

Moss wrote:I'm just sad that all of you have already read it and now I'm going to be the lamer echoing all your status updates weeks later."

Hehe. And we'll be all...."just wait, you'll see"

new_user That's a good point. (view spoiler)

Wicked Incognito Now That's true. For awhile anyway. ;-0

message 17: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH This is such a good discussion. I never thought of these themes as I was reading. I wonder if the author will incorporate themes like this in the next novel?

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon AH wrote: "This is such a good discussion. I never thought of these themes as I was reading. I wonder if the author will incorporate themes like this in the next novel?"

I hope so. I can't imagine that she wouldn't. :)

new_user CJ - You Carry On As If I Don't Love You wrote: "I think she would be more like Atë.

Maybe both. Nike makes sense to me because (view spoiler)

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon I don't think I knew that Nike translated to that. I mean, if I paused and rubbed two brain cells together then yes, I probably could've come to that conclusion.

Let's chew on this: If we go back to the Egyptian mythology that Callihan discussed in the book and which seemed (view spoiler).

At the same time, she could also be an almagamation of (view spoiler).

Miranda reminds me of the Salamander :)

OOO I love myth talk.

message 22: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH You guys should just ask the author. It would be interesting to hear what she thought as she wrote this.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon No way! That would totally spoil the fun of guessing! :)