Mantastic's Reviews > I, Omega

I, Omega by Kari Gregg

U 50x66
Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: paranormal

This is the 1st dubcon book that I read willingly. I am not a fan of non consensual sexual violence in my entertainment, but some trusted sources convinced me to try it. I was surprised to find that I didn't really interpret the supposed dubcon as such.

What I saw from Gabriel's POV was his confusion due to the werewolf effects his body was going through, his fear that he was somehow defective. His initial fear of Cal seemed to be based on the fact that he felt Cal was going to kill him because he didn't convert into a "proper" werewolf ... NOT that he didn't want Cal as a Dom or lover. It was clear to me in the story that Gabriel was a sub before his change, but was having a hard time adjusting to the changes to his body, and his thoughts and emotions were all over the place.

The writing was very engaging and I was very interested to see what happened next. I'm not sure how other dubcon authors do it, but I would be willing to try out another of Kari Gregg's work if this is her take on it.

Having said that, I never really warmed to Cal as he seemed a little over the top. The entire story is based on a misunderstanding that happened when Cal left Gabriel alone after their first night together. His actions were a very HUMAN thing to do, but Cal is far from human. He knew that Gabriel would need immediate help dealing with his new reality. Of course, Cal can't know all, but to have admitted to such a big screw up and yet continue to leave Gabriel so much in the dark just forced more misunderstandings. And to then leave Gabriel open to harm by blindly throwing him, literally, to the wolves in some sort of test was awful ... so much more than his first mistake because this time Cal knew what he was doing and what he was risking. This was the time to protect Gabriel, build trust and understanding so that the metaphysical bond that was forming had time to cement. Instead, he seemed to put the pack first, sacrificing the bond, and causing Gabriel to slip that much further into the slave-like state that neither really seemed to want.

Surprisingly, it was Burke, not Cal that was the second "hero" in this story. He may not have been alpha, but he seemed to be much wiser than Cal. And what was with Jake? For an alpha, even a baby alpha, he was a bit subby ... he may change as he gets older but it was kind of cute when he would curl into Gabriel.

Pause for a werewolf sex question ... The knot that engages when a werewolf mates.
Cal says that the knot extends and latches on when a werewolf/wolf is with his mate. Ok, got it. It happens every time they have sex, as seen throughout the story. They are locked together for however long it takes for the werewolf's balls empty and the knot releases and to be forcibly ripped apart would be bad. Ok, got that, too. So what happened when Gabriel gives Cal a blow job? What does the knot latch onto?

The sex throughout the book was pure BDSM so anyone a fan of the genre will probably love that there was so much on offer. I could have done with just a bit less sex, but I see why most of the scenes were there. The only problem I had with it was in relation to Gabriel's understanding ... he knew himself to be submissive, but he never wanted the 24/7 slave-like relationship that he found himself in. He was consistently surprised and conflicted by his thoughts and desires. We later realize that his natural sub tendencies where being compacted by the new omega tendencies and really throwing him for a loop. I get that. But there were times when he tried breaking through and exerting his own will, even being invited to by Cal, and would be punished for his efforts. The most notable when he didn't want to answer Cal's questions and was told "I may not answer your questions, boy, but you will answer every one of mine." It may be a silly line to attribute so much of my opinion on, but to me, that line speaks to an illusion of free will, not the true freedom Cal claimed to be offering.

I would have liked to see some of the moments Gabriel barely mentioned in passing, watching TV and reading the paper. Maybe not those specifically since what's really to say about those two subjects, but something to suggest that Cal wasn't always as overbearing as he came across.

Aside from a few tweaks listed above, I really enjoyed the story more than I thought I would. The reasoning behind the 3 stars is because it felt like the beginning without an end. There is so much about the world that I would have loved to have known. The immediate issue of acclimating Gabriel to Cal's wolf was taken care of, but was that really the entire point of the story? Cal and Gabriel are bonded and Gabriel knows his worth, but what does that mean for them and the pack? There is a simple explanation about omegas being rare, and human omegas being even more rare that rival packs will want him. Do they stop wanting him after he has bonded? What dangers still exist so that we see the bonded pair work together and reach the level of power and cohesiveness that is hinted at. Could Gabriel's father really believe that he would go off the grid without a word? Even if he did, the governmental resources exhausted and media attention caused by their "elopement" is sure to be an embarrassment that would have to be dealt with by the Senator and/or the couple. What about the other wolves? Where are they and how does the Alpha and Omega fit?

I'm not usually a fan of couples who exist inside a bubble so what I'm missing in this story is all the surrounding events and characters that help support the main couple. Keeping everything as is for these 138 pages and adding another 100 or so pages of story would have increased my enjoyment. We were along for the battle, I would have liked to have seen the payoff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I, Omega.