K80h's Reviews > Across the Universe

U_50x66
Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, read-in-2012, ya-lit
Read from December 28, 2011 to January 01, 2012

The President called it the "epitome of the American dream." Daddy called it the "unholy alliance of business and government." But all it really was, was America giving up. Bailing out in order to join the Financial Resource Exchange...and provide the resources needed for a select group of scientists and military personnel to embark on the first trip across the universe in a quest to find more natural resources--more profit. The answer to my parents' dream. And my worst nightmare.

Amy isn't crazy about suspended her life for 300 years and starting over on a new planet. She likes her life the way it is. But her parents have already made their decision.

Life isn't easy for Elder either. Being the only 16 year old in the whole society would be bad enough, not to mention the expectations on him as the future leader.

When Amy is unexpectedly awoken, she and Elder must work together to figure out what is really going on in this ship filled with lies before it crumbles around them.

I really liked the way that the story was told from both the perspective of Amy and Elder. Although the story is promoted as Amy's story, Elder's experience is very important to the book and I was intrigued more by his struggles to become a good leader more than some of Amy's struggles.