Janine's Reviews > Shadowcry

Shadowcry by Jenna Burtenshaw

Dec 28, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from December 28 to 29, 2011

I'd been dying to read this book, so when I finally had it in my possession I couldn't put it down.

Shadowcry has the kind of writing I like best, and I can understand how others may not like it. The writing reminds me of Cornelia Funke, Mary Hoffman, and Diana Wynne Jones. It has that classic feel to it. That being said, I loved it!

From the start of the book I was sucked into the world (which is so cool by the way. Fume sounds like a creepy cool place.) and dying to know more. I really wanted to know more about each character, especially Silas and Edgar. And it all came together so well.

Oddly enough the whole book takes place within a number of days. It was strange for me at first but it all makes sense. A LOT happens in those days but not so much that it's hard to keep up. I can only imagine how hard it would be for Kate to process all of this.

What boggles my mind is why the second book isn't out yet in America. It's like the Stravaganza series all over again! Come on American publishers! Give a girl a break!

I should add I really liked the concept of the story. The veil and Skilled were both creepy and fascinating. It was so cool. And I must give a thumbs up to the cover design because it's beautiful. It reminded me of the scene from Phantom of the Opera where Christine is singing in the cemetery ("Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again"). Beautiful!

Needless to say, I can't WAIT for the sequel! I might just order it online. Come on Greenwillow Press - give me the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowcry.

12/28/2011 page 80
12/29/2011 page 151
49.0% "I think this is the kind of writing style I like best. And I love the characters so far. And the world! Okay - back to reading."
show 1 hidden update…