Justin Carter's Reviews > a million bears

a million bears by Spencer Madsen

M 50x66
Dec 28, 11

My review for http://banangolit.com

Spencer Madsen recently sent me the manuscript of his new book, “a million bears.”

I was looking forward to there being bears but there was a lack of bears. What there was, though, was an abundance of pure, unadulterated emotion.

Spencer Madsen gets deep in some of these poems. the first poem includes these lines: there is a reason for why i feel weird/ but the reason is why i feel weird/ so i don’t want to think about it

Throughout the book we have moments like this, where the speaker in the poem acknowledges his feelings and the reasons for those feelings but is afraid to confront them.

50 Cent and Kanye West make various appearances in the form of retweeted tweets. This is the part of the book I felt unsure about. I’m sure other readers will enjoy it though.

there isnt room in my stomach for my feelings/ she screamed i dont know who i am in your head

Madsen is at his best when he writes like that ^, with this deep psychological stuff happening behind the poem.

The poems that are explicitly about failed relationships are great and make me sad a little bit.

I am going to type various lines from the book that I enjoyed now in no particular order:

‘like a movie’ i thought and felt sarcastic again
life is like something stupid
my cat told me my thumbs are stupid
i am uncomfortable
I will type until you are happy
if you want a girlfriend just do push ups

This book is really great. You should read it. I feel like Spencer Madsen gets to the heart of what being human is.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read a million bears.